What is a Well Balanced Meal?
Three well balanced meals a day, plus snacks of fruit or berries is how you optimally nourish the growing bodies and brains of our wee- ones… and ourselves.
What is a well-balanced meal?
A well-balanced meal is one that:
- Has half the plate vegetables.
- And the other side of the plate split between protein, whole grains and healthy fats
You want half the plate vegetables because they:
- help jump start your digestive system before your heavy meal begins.
- help keep your bones strong.
- are rich in fibre and help you to be regular and maintain a healthy weight.
- are full of important nutrients like vitamins A and C, folate and minerals like potassium and magnesium
- contain many important phytochemicals that help “fight” to protect your health and boost your immune system.
- can help you decrease inflammation, and lower cholesterol levels and blood pressure.
You want half the plate split between protein, fat, whole grains because:
- Protein serves as the foundations for health, repair and replenishment. Our muscles, skin, hair and connective tissue are all made up of protein. This essential macronutrient is also involved in many of the body’s important chemical messengers such as enzymes, neurotransmitters and hormone function.(drjoey.com) – 25%
- Vegetables are whole grain carbs, too! However whole grains still produce many essential nutrients such as added fibre, B vitamins, thiamine, zinc, iron, manganese, antioxidants and polythenals! – 20%
- Healthy fats are needed for your brain!! And for the joints in your body to be properly lubricated. Healthy fat is essential in feeling full, staying full, and being well nourished. Enjoy your healthy fats! They add great taste too. – 15%
In Between Meals / Snacks:
Be sure to have juicy and fresh fruits and berries such as peach slices, apple slices, pears, cherries, watermelon, banana’s and fresh raspberries! They are fresh and juicy gifts from nature! And wild foods such as sauerkraut, kimchi, wild blueberries, spirulina, chia, flax, hemp, probiotics- are also tremendously powerful for brain, gut and body health.
For Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner have Whole Meals.
Eat 1 to 3 snacks in between.
This is how you will guarantee optimal nourishment and energy throughout your day.
Don’t forget your sea salt, spices and herbs for depth of flavor!
Common varieties of whole grains include:
- brown rice
- whole rye
- wild rice
- wheat berry
- sourdough bread
Common varieties of plant based proteins include:
- Lentils (red, green, brown, chickpea)
- Beans (black, white, pinto)
- Edamame (or tofu)
- Hemp Hearts / Chia Seed
- Greek Yogurt
- Protein Powder
- Peanut Butter / almond butter
- Farm raised /pastured Chicken, eggs, beef
- Wild caught salmon, tilapia, haddock, cod, shrimp
- Kale / Greens (alot more protein than you think!)
Common varieties of healthy fats include:
- Olives/ Olive Oil
- Coconut / Coconut Oil
- Nuts / Seeds / Nut butters
- Butter / Ghee
- Avocado / Avocado Oil
- Grapeseed Oil
*Once you have healthy fats in your meal, use broth to cook with.
Also do not use canola or vegetable oil – they are toxic for your gut
Whole Meal Ideas (more to come soon):
Practical Tools for Kitchen & Mindset
Kitchen Wisdom Poster
My membership community gets a complimentary copy of my FREE Kitchen Wisdom Poster PDF. I encourage you to print it out and hang it on your fridge or inside a cupboard as a daily reminder of your want to be, cook, live and be whole and healthy!!! Download Yours Today
3 Part Video Series: Transform Your Kitchen Experience
This video series is here to help you to learn the Mindset, Workflow and power of Responsibility to be empowered to begin the process of transforming your kitchen experience. As you shift your relationship with food and your kitchen, so does your relationship to Self and all things shift. Sign-Up for FREE Today.
- Kitchen Alchemy Course
LEARN: Skills in Mindset & Whole Food Preparation
IMPROVE: Kitchen Workflow & Self Confidence
EXPLORE: Perception, Habits & Beliefs
CELEBRATE: Small steps & Decisions for great change in self, kitchen & life
TO QUALIFY: You are prepared to better care for yourself and your family through the thoughts you think and the meals you make. You are willing to put in the time & effort now, to learn how to cook wholesome meals that save time and overwhelm later. Learn More
Did You Know?
I give weekly gifts, gratitude and shout-outs to our community, so post a picture, quote, screenshot or video OF YOUR WHOLE / WELL BALANCED MEAL on Instagram or Facebook and use #WAHKwithus or #WAHKinspired or tag me @britneyshawley or @wholeandhealthykitchen !! I can’t wait to see your meals and / or hear your thoughts about this blog / video!
Pin to Pintrest or share on social media!
June 2020 #ActofLove #wholehealth #WholeandHealthyKitchen #WAHKinspired #WholesomeCooking #CookEveryDamnDay