Black Bean & Roasted Sweet Potato
Burritos / Taco Bowls!!
Title: Black Bean & Roasted Vegetable Burritos
Author: Britney Shawley
Recipe type: Dinner
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
Serves: 4 – 6 people
Burritos are so versatile! They can be made in so many different ways which allows you to ensure that every one at the dinner table will enjoy their meal immensely! My favorite burritos are with roasted sweet potatoes, caramelized onions and blackbeans. Its heavenly.
For Sweet Potato:
2 small sweet potato’s, peeled and diced small (make at least 4-6 more if going to use some for a side)
1 tbsp avocado or grapeseed oil
1-2 tsp salt
1 medium Onion, diced
Olive Oil or Coconut Oil (for frying)
2 tsp Soya Sauce of choice (I use Bragg Amino Acids)
2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp cayenne
1 red pepper, sliced (optional)
3 Garlic cloves
3/4 cup black beans, soaked, rinsed, cooked (or in a can)
1/4-1/2 tsp baking soda (to add to the black beans to break down cell wall and all you to mash them with a potato masher or fork)
4 – 6 Tortilla’s or Naan Bread
4-6 tbsp Hummus (or pesto! or mayo!)
3/4 cup mozzarella cheese or vegan Daiya cheese, shredded
Extras [ all is optional]:
2 carrots, shredded
1/4 cup cilantro
Cauliflower (for crumble)
Juice of lime or lemon
1 avocado, sliced
Spring Greens Lettuce (for taco bowls) or Spinach/Romain lettuce for burrito wraps
FOR SWEET POTATOES –
- Preheat Oven to 400F
- Peel and dice sweet potato. Place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Add oil and salt to sweet potatoes.
- Cook in oven for 40 minutes until golden color on tops and caramelized on sides that touch pan. Once cooked take out of oven and set aside.
FOR TACO BOWLS:
- Reduce heat to 350F and put tortilla into each shell.
- Add into oven and bake for 15 minutes
- take out of oven and set aside until ready for assembly
FOR MUSHROOM & RED PEPPER:
In a pan, add butter or oil then add diced mushrooms to pan. Drizzle tamari sauce and let cook until mushrooms are slightly browned and decreased in size
After about 3 minutes add sliced red peppers and let them cook down. Put lid on pan.
Add minced garlic. stir until fragrant, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add to a bowl and set aside
FOR ONIONS & BLACK BEANS:
- Into the same pan you used for vegetables, Add diced onions with oil. Let cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add tamari sauce and let cook for another 3 minutes until they get caramelizy and translucent. Add garlic powder & cayenne.
- Choose one option:
A) Add black beans [that you pre soaked, sprouted & cooked] into caramelized onions.
B) Add drained and rinsed canned black beans to caramelized onions.
- Add baking soda and tamari sauce and let all cook together for 5 – 10 minutes
- Use a potato masher to mash down the beans into more of a paste.
- Put into a bowl and set it aside
While beans are cooking, Peel and shred your carrots. set aside
Shred cheese, set aside.
- Rinse and chop cilantro, set aside
- Diced avocado, set aside
- Get out your hummus or pesto
Using a Wrap or Naan bread…. add hummus (or pesto), then add a few big scoops of the bean mixture on top. Add a big scoop of red pepper/mushrooms, add sweet potatoes, add a few sprinkles of cheese, carrots, avocado and cilantro if using.
Roll the Wrap or Fold the Naan and place on grill for 2 minutes ……. on a pan to toast it on both sides…… or in a toaster oven for about 3-5 minutes until the outsides are crunchy and lightly toasted. Slice in half and enjoy!
- If Using a TACO BOWL: Add spring green lettuce to a regular bowl and add dressing of choice. (I love pesto, thinned out hummus or lemon + olive oil + maple syrup dressing) Mix it all together then add into your taco bowl. Add each of your ingredients into the corners of the bowl until its full to your liking. Sprinkle nuts or herbs of choice on top. Enjoy!
All vegetables and extras are optional!! Use what you have.
I love using TACO BOWLS!:
I got mine from Amazon. Get yours here.
I add tortilla to the baking bowl, and bake at 350F for 10 to 15 minutes. Once baked I add to a plate, add spring mix lettuce and then all the toppings you see above on top 🙂
Quick Tips & Tools:
1 medium pot, 1 large pot, grill or toaster oven, fry pan
Serve along side a salad or roasted vegetables.
If you want to travel with these, I generally use a George Forman grill, toaster oven or fry pan, to warm the wrap. Then I roll it up in wax paper and then surround it with tin foil to keep it warm and in place. Cut in half.
If you want to eat them the next day, store the a filling in a separate container and assemble your wraps the next day…. adding cheese on top of warmed up fillings (use fry pan), and add your mayo or hummus, and a give it a fresh hot fry pan, toaster oven or George Forman press to warm.
Start with washing cauliflower and shredding it with a cheese grater. Take about 1 – 2 cups of shredded cauliflower and add to a hot pan with coconut oil. Add cauliflower. Add taco seasoning (or cumin + cayenne + smoked paprika + salt) and mix it all together. Let it get cooked and a bit crispy, about 7-10 minutes. Then take off stove and let cool. Add to top of taco bowls!
You can also buy this here
Precook your beans and have them ready. Your quinoa can also be precooked. You can then add all your ingredients into the pan that you made the onions to fry it up and warm it a bit.
I often make all the innards the day before, and will Assemble the naan/wraps as I am about to serve the meal.
Skip the sweet potato and add canned corn. Still delicious just different!
Don’t think that because you don’t have a vegetable or ingredient that you cant make these. You can!!! Either substitute with what you do have in your fridge or keep it super simple and only do sweet potatoes, beans and onion. Still delicious!