Berry + Candied Pecan Kale Salad
Title:Berry + Caramelized Pecan Kale Salad
Author: Britney Shawley
Recipe type: Dinner
Prep time: 20 minutes (rest time 10 minutes to 48 hours)
Cook time: 15 to 30 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
Serves: 3-4 people
I was looking for a fresh yet filling salad that my whole family would enjoy this summer. Well… this is it! We love it! Hope you do too 🙂
Read comments below this recipe
Crispy Chicken Fingers
3 large chicken breasts, dethawed
4 tbsp flour (I used whole grain)
3 tbsp Dijon Mustard
2 tbsp Mayo
1 tbsp Oil
Pinch of Pepper
Pinch of salt
2 cups breadcrumbs (1/2 spelt crumbs + 1/2 regular panko crumb)
1 tsp salt
2 tsp garlic powder
Kefir / Yogurt and Chive Sauce
1 cup Kefir (or plain yogurt, not greek)
1 cup almond milk, unsweetened
1 – 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 cloves garlic, minced
1-2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 tbsp chives
3-4 cups kale
1 cup spinach
1 cup strawberries, sliced
1/2 cup blueberries
1/2 cup black berries (or peaches)
1 cup pecans
1/4-1/2 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
1 1/2 tbsp water
For the Salad
- Wash your berries, slice your strawberries (and peaches if using)
- Wash your kale and rip off the stem. Using only the leafs and not the stem or rib.
- Add your spinach and kale to a bowl. Set berries aside.
Crispy Chicken Fingers
- Preheat oven to 420F
- Mix the batter: eggs, flour, mustard, mayo, oil, pepper, salt
- Dice your chicken breast into strips and soak in the batter for 15 minutes to 48 hours (in fridge)
- Prepare your breading: crumbs, salt, garlic powder
- Take each strip of chicken and press it into the breading on one side, then flip it and press into breading on the other side. Ensuring to cover all side of the chicken with the breading.
- Once battered and breaded add the chicken strips to a baking pan that has parchment paper on it (I will often put a cooling rack on top of the pan, and place the chicken strips on the cooling rack when baking in oven)
- Bake for 15 minutes until cooked through
- Mix almond milk and apple cider vinegar together. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl mix plain yogurt (kefir), lemon, chives, minced garlic, salt and pepper. Mix together.
- Add the almond milk/apple cider vinegar to the bowl and mix together. Set aside.
For Candied Pecans:
- Add sugar and water to a small pot on stove. Put to low to medium heat and bring to a boil.
- As soon as it boils add your pecans and give it a stir
- Let cook in there for 2-3 minutes then let cool completely until the pecans become like hardened candy
- Add kale and spinach to large bowl
- Drizzle dressing, not to much, and massage with your hands.
- Scatter all the berries on top
- Scatter the candied pecans
- Slice the chicken fingers and place on top of salad
- Sprinkle with chives, enjoy with lots of love!
Buy your chicken from a quality source. It costs a bit more up front, but you are saving in health, in taste and in money long term. We buy all our meat from @ButcherBox . Its high quality meat that is pastured, loved and delicious! Its worth the little bit of extra money to save on health for us, the animals and the environment.
Quick Tips & Tools:
3 medium bowls, knife, cutting board (for chicken), 2 baking pans, cooling rack
Make sure you take all your ingredients out on the counter before you begin to ensure that you are not running around the kitchen like a chicken with your head cut off. No pun intended 😉
Careful not to over cook chicken. Thicker slices may take up to 20 minutes, but no more than that or they will be dry.
Normally when breading chicken you will dip it into eggs, then flour, then crumb. However, I am a fan of saving time!!! So I put the eggs and flour (with dijon and mustard for flavor) together. Because the batter is made this way you can let your chicken strips rest in the batter for up to 48 days! This makes it a great meal for Meal Prepping!!! Leave the chicken strips in batter until you are ready to cook. Then take the chicken and add to the breading and then lay it out on pan to bake.
Set Your Intention:
I am Love. And I welcome Love to flow through me and into this meal, to greatly nourish and bless all who eat it.